How could we improve Flow?

Private tasks not in a workspace

Currently, the inbox is in a workspace - which means that I have to assign an email to the workspace and then awkwardly move tasks around. I want to be able to easily move tasks from an inbox to wherever they need to be - so having an inbox that all my stuff goes into that's then drag and dropped to the right list/workspace would be great.
Cheers
Ben

216 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    BenBen shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BenBen commented  · 

Excellent! Good to hear Jesse.
        Cheers
        Ben

• BenBen commented  · 

Aaargh... and now have been emailing tasks to my Flow - but of course they're now in the wrong team so have to do the weird move from one clunky temp project to another so I can then get them to the right spot.
        I'm better off just not using team workspaces (which, weirdly, is what I told myself to do back in 2015 before I went away from Flow... and I'm back and it's the same problem...)

• BenBen commented  · 

Still not planned... :(
        I've come back to Flow after cancelling for a year or so (about 18 months) - mostly because the Offline access is now planned... can we get this looked at again? It is truly silly to have to put everything into a project - there really really REALLY ought to be a triage space for handling items that have not been assigned or worked on. You know, like a box that things go in. An "in" box. or similar. Maybe "inbox" is the wrong idea?

At heart:

As a user of Flow
        I want to capture the things I need to do quickly and easily without having to analyse them
        So that I can ensure that all my things to do are captured.

And then work out which project they belong to. Or not. Not everything has a project (which is why I have a "---" project for dumping stuff in) :)

- any idea can be captured
        - tasks need just barebones info
        - emails can go here
        - quick notes can go here
        - it's private to me only
        - tasks can be assigned to projects and teams that I belong to

• AndrewAndrew commented  · 

This is not recognised as important as such apps (Flow; Asana; Wrike; TaskWorld; Dapulse; etc.) are created by IT geeks for IT geeks. There is zero requirements capture undertaken or understanding of the needs of other workers in other sectors (yes really, IT geeks, other industry sectors do exist).

Something like a global inbox is a no brainer, but because its not how "they" work, it is deemed not important. Unfortunately, being able to code and being able to design are two utterly different things, and most IT people have no formal human-centred design training or capability.

Result: valid user needs are completely overlooked (or worse, actively ignored) — meaning valuable features that could really differentiate a product from the crowd of identikit Asperger's inspired, techno-centric and inhuman solutions are totally missed.

• KSKS commented  · 

Email apps have been doing this for years. Many of these will group all your email accounts and show you all your unread emails, or all your emails period, in one global view.

Now, that's kind of useful for email, but it's REALLY useful for tasks, which have a temporal and scheduling component, and thus all relate to each other whether we like it or not. It is crucial to be able to see all my work in a single list.

• KSKS commented  · 

Why does nobody understand the value of a global inbox? Asana is the same way. It's vexing.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree, the ability to move tasks between workspaces is needed. This would help when tasks end up in the incorrect workspace.

Ben

• JohnJohn commented  · 

I agree this would be a very useful addition. I'm relatively new to Flow and find the multiple inboxes difficult to work with. I like the suggestion that there should be at least one inbox not associated with any workspace where you can quickly jot down your ideas or tasks.

• BenBen commented  · 

I've just hit this problem again in a big way - have gone ahead and set up more workspaces now that they're not so costly and then emailed a bunch of tasks through to myself thinking I can easily move them around but nooooooo..... I forgot... now I have to create a list, move the tasks in there and then move them to right workspace. Unless I'm missing something...?
        This is hitting me especially if I'm emailing personal tasks in - it means I have to create a project list "Move to Personal" then manually move the tasks into that list and then move the project. Even worse I then have to reset the sharing settings as well - or accidentally give Guest access to everyone.

This is silly.

• Renato CarvalhoRenato Carvalho commented  · 

Thinking on simplicity. Inbox is made to collect things quickly and then later organize that. Having multiple inboxes seems confusing and overkill.

• Andrew SomervellAndrew Somervell commented  · 

That and give everyone their own personal workspace. Now that workspaces are unrestricted

• Ben FosterBen Foster commented  · 

This would be a big improvement. We're a small team but are using multiple workspaces for each department (Development, Design, Marketing, Events). Having an Inbox-per-workspace doesn't really make sense to us as the Inbox is more like a staging area for tasks that are either personal or have yet to be assigned to the appropriate workspace or list.

• Dan DavisDan Davis commented  · 

At a minimum, the ability to move tasks between workspaces is needed. This would at least help when tasks end up in the incorrect workspace

• BenBen commented  · 

The more I've been using the new flow the more I think that some function that allows stuff to go in and then be processed to workspaces is going to be very helpful. At the moment, I've restructured my lists so that I don't have to use workspaces - i.e. everything's in one workspace. which kind of misses the point of the workspaces :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base