How could we improve Flow?

Enable manual reordering of lists in calendar view

The views I use most often in the current Flow are Upcoming/Week and Upcoming/List. In both I do a lot of manual reorganizing, mostly at the start and end of a day but also halfway through. It really helps me keep focused on what I need to attack next. Without the ability to reorder in these views, I'm not able to translate all my to-do's into an actual order of work.

113 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ania WieckowskiAnia Wieckowski shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Cyrus MolaviCyrus Molavi responded  · 

We plan to make daily planning much better in Flow this year. We’re building out a workflow, piece-by-piece, that’ll help you keep focused throughout the day. Reordering your next tasks will be part of that.

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael LimMichael Lim commented  · 

Hi Cyrus,

Good to hear you guys are making improvements on daily planning. One thing I do everyday is go to my overview workspace and look at 'my tasks' when I start my day. I noticed you cannot reorder your list of tasks when you're in the OVERVIEW workspace, it would be great if you can reorder lists in this view, so I can plan my entire day without from the OVERVIEW workspace. Would make life a lot easier.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It would be great if we could rearrange the order of tasks that show up on the calendar, so that I can prioritize my tasks in the order that I want to complete them for the day. Thanks for considering this!

• Brent CampbellBrent Campbell commented  · 

I love Flow but I would love to be able to manually sort the items (within a heading) in the 'Subscribed' view. This is the view I use the most to over see my department and keep up-to-date on what is going on. Being able to sort this view would allow me to create personal priorities with following up different team members, responsible for different projects. Please consider this! Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Would be really great if this feature was also available in the overview. This way you could prioritise your tasks across multiple workspace. Basically a full day prioritised.

• GerGer commented  · 

Yes, I have to agree with the comments here. I want to sort the tasks for Today in the order I will do them. My colleagues even want to put times on them like a calendar. Why does the manual sort in the calendar list view not show in the same sequence in "My Tasks". If there were some more fields like time and priority, these could be used to sort by also.

• Ania WieckowskiAnia Wieckowski commented  · 

Hi Jake -- thanks for your response. I hadn't realized that it supports manual sorting under List view because I had been viewing Everyone's tasks, not just my own. Thanks!

I would still be very interested in having this feature in the calendar view because that's the view that I find most useful. At a glance I can see what's coming up for days, and how my week shakes out, in a way that graphically corresponds to how I think about time (i.e. a calendar layout). A coworker and I have been sharing personal productivity tips and he agrees: he uses OmniFocus but he's very envious of my month view in Flow.

I think I am an atypical Flow user because I'm using it by myself, not as part of a team. I think when I started using it it was more focused toward the individual user, and the shift to a group customer has meant that there are a number of new features I don't use, and old features (like being able to manually sort the calendar month view) have gone away.

I'd be happy to talk more about how I use the product if you'd find that useful. Let me know.

• Jason RehfeldJason Rehfeld commented  · 

If i sort by due date and have 5 tasks due today from 5 different folders or lists, i'd like there to be a function to be able to have those tasks show up in the order that i have set them up on my left hand navigation bar (i usually sort folder's alphabetically). There currently seems to be no rhyme or reason to how the tasks appear on a given due date. Whether it's my task or everyone's...i'd like it to appear on my screen based on my folder sorting.

• Ania WieckowskiAnia Wieckowski commented  · 

Hi - I just wanted to check in on this idea. It's still the one thing keeping my flow experience from being really great. I usually have 10+ tasks on a given day and being able to order them really would allow (and used to allow) me to use the system to manage my tasks minute-to-minute. As Dan said below, if I really want to be on top of my game I have to copy and paste my day's list into another system, or write it down by hand, to order my tasks so I know what to focus on next. Wish I could do that in Flow as I used to!

• Antoine MinouxAntoine Minoux commented  · 

Thanks, luke.

However, I'm only using the calendar in month view. Is it planned to add the calendar view reordering in a near future, or not at all ?

• Dan SullivanDan Sullivan commented  · 

It looks like Upcoming/Week has been removed. I only see Month and list. I would have definitely used Upcoming /week also.

• Dan SullivanDan Sullivan commented  · 

This is my #1 overriding issue with every tool I've ever used - including this one.

Most tools (this one included) can't produce a real to-do list of tasks *in the order I'm going to do them and across all projects/lists/etc.*

In other words, I still have to use a piece of paper or mentally override whatever the tool shows me, which defeats at least half the purpose of the tool in the first place.

Feedback and Knowledge Base