How could we improve Flow?

Task start dates

Add an opportunity to give a task a Start Date, so that it will be hidden until then. This corresponds to the GTD "tickler file" for removing items from the inbox that do not need to be processed at the moment. Tasks could also be made to repeat based on start date or completion date rather than due date, as in OmniFocus.

505 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark GreenMark Green shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • kevin goujonkevin goujon commented  · 

Would love to see repetitive task with a start date to avoid seeing the task in grey and make it a cleaner look

• KatieKatie commented  · 

Any update about this? It would be super helpful. Also if there could be hours added, not just days. Thank you!

• Aaron WestbergAaron Westberg commented  · 

good to hear that this feature will be added. I would like to see the sections show the cumulative range of all tasks within the section and have the ability to toggle whether i would like to see the sections on the calendar view. We are using sections for smaller projects and they do not appear on the timeline in calendar view. It would be nice to see the sections show on the calendar that we would like to appear. A "show in Calendar" button on sections.

• JohnJohn commented  · 

I would like to have the ability to give a task a start and an end date. It's nice to have a due date for tasks, but some tasks take a long time to do and require planning around when to start in order to finish on time. Please add a feature for doing this so I know "I have to start working on the task on this day to have it finished by that day".

• Moriah R GlasgowMoriah R Glasgow commented  · 

Would you all provide an updated timeline on this? Thanks!

• SeathSeath commented  · 

I am voting for this because of the essential need for being able to have tasks that repeat a specified time interval after completion - ie "Repeat again after complete" - It is amazing to me that apps as powerful as Flow don't have this essential feature - The majority (80%) of my repeating personal tasks are things that I want to be reminded to do (e.g. chores), but if I get behind I don't have the time to keep moving due dates in to the future - I need the app to understand that I want to repeat the task again, but the next iteration is due from the date of completion NOT from the date it was originally due. I don't want multiple due dates that are in the past because I missed getting to something, nor do I want to have to manage pausing something because I am away. I need the app to do this work so my life is simpler to manage, not a big headache.
        Thank You

• Ryan SundermanRyan Sunderman commented  · 

I would not add this feature. I voted for it in the past but now have removed by votes.

There are other, and maybe better ways to accomplish start dates. Example, set the due date of when you want to, or need to start working on it. In the notes, enter the actual deadline. Or leave the actual due date and adjust your workflow to look forward 3 to 5 days to know what is coming.

Too many times start dates are added to a task, only to be adjusted many, many times. You're then having to update several tasks, and many dates. Too much work!

The beauty of Flow is that it gives us an opportunity to rethink how we work. Flow works and is successful because it is built to not be like other products we're familiar with. If these other products worked, we wouldn't be using Flow.

• JabjabJabjab commented  · 

Frederic, clearly, your task is list NOT crowded. This would simplify the life of those, who have a great deal of tasks cramped into a day, even though the day of starting has not yet come. Setting a future date for the start clears the day I am working on.

• FrederikFrederik commented  · 

I would not add this feature. Simplicity is major asset of Flow. I simply set the due date of new tasks = start date. Very simple

• Roohbir SinghRoohbir Singh commented  · 

+1 Just being able to add a task start and end date gives a task more context – we can easily handle the day-to-day time allocation outside of flow but adding future tasks (specially those that will start in a few months) would be very useful...

• BenBen commented  · 

Hi @Marc - you can do this for DUE dates - if you go to Calendar then filter for only your tasks you get that list (can be viewed as calendar or list).
        What you can't get is stuff that's due to START in the future.

Cheers,
        B.

• Marc Alexander NiedingMarc Alexander Nieding commented  · 

Again a feature which is dearly missed. It is so annoying to see many, many items which are spread over the coming months and which are not due. A clean and focussed view onto what is due TODAY is urgently needed! Anything not due should be hidden. There must be a today-view.

• Vinnie LauriaVinnie Lauria commented  · 

I just create a project called 'Someday' and add those tasks there.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Is having a start date a methodology-specific feature? I'm not sure what that term means. Why would you have no interest in adding a start date to tasks? The program we used before we switched to Flow, which was discontinued, had such a feature.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I would love to use this app for my team, but their tasks are time sensitive. Being able to set a start date/time as well as a due date/time would be great to have; otherwise, this app really does not help us.

• David TunstallDavid Tunstall commented  · 

Yes, some kind of dependency on prior tasks before the current task can be completed (or seen).

• Dan SullivanDan Sullivan commented  · 

IF it's only a handful of tasks, you can put it in the future as "Start to do the thing" and just edit the description then.

I don't want an extra start field cluttering input for the <=5% of tasks (for me) that have a delayed start, and a start field doesn't address predecessors. I like special features handled via tags - I might dig a *power tag* like "hide until: 12/15/31" or "hide until: task xyz is done"

• Mario MedinaMario Medina commented  · 

The idea of having a start date isn't just a matter of methodology — it's a good feature. I have many tasks that need to start on a specific date and run for, say, a week or more. It's not enough to think about a task when it's due...it's about doing it from a certain point up until it's due.

• Alex AttardAlex Attard commented  · 

I've sound the lack of a start date very frustrating fro a long time. If i need to do a task by a certain date, I'd like it to appear in my work list between now and then. otherwise, unless i look forward to 3 weeks from now, i dont even know i have that task to do. Start dates would allow me to hide a task until a certain time and then remind me every day htat its on my list and can be done from now on. I wouldnt have thought putting in start dates would be that difficult.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base